Christmas Eve is just around the corner. The tree is up, the cards have been sent and presents are (nearly) all wrapped. So what better way to prepare for the big day than enjoying yur own, homemade mince pies?
Not only do they make delicious Christmas nibbles (much nicer than the one from the shops!), but they’re so quick and simple to make – and the perfect present for that person who has everything!
Here at Grrrl’s Life we had a go with mum’s trusty old family recipe, which we wanted to share with you guys. Comment below or on Facebook and let us know how you get on with your own! And why not share your own Christmas recipes? We’d love to hear from you.
Aaaaaaand we’ll just put this here so you can have a little sing a long with Taylor Swift’s Christmas playlist whilst you’re baking:
- 225g cold butter, diced
- 350g plain flour
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 280g mincemeat
- 1 small egg
- icing sugar, to dust
1. To make pastry: Rub butter into flour and mix in caster sugar. Roll into a ball.
2. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas mark 6.
3. Roll out 18 walnut-sized balls and place in baking tray. Fill with mincemeat.
4. Use shaped cutters to make lids from left over pastry
5. Beat egg and brush the tops of the pies. Bake for 20 minutes until golden.
Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack.
6. Lightly dust with icing sugar.
And done in half an hour! Dont worry, you don’t have to eat them all at once, they’ll keep for 3 to 4 days in an airtight container. Good luck!